Re: Trimming the fat off an installation

Sven Arvidsson wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 07:23 +0100, andy wrote:

I am wanting to figure
out a way to rid myself of packages that I don't use, orphan files, and
other random bits of software detritus.

If you have popularity-contest installed and have been running it for a
while you can use it to filter out seldom or never used packages.

There's even a script included, popcon-largest-unused, for listing
unused packages by size.

Neat command - thanks Sven! Thanks for the many other suggestions from you guys!

I found a whole bunch of files or rather a long-list of entries like:

0 0 libpoppler0c2-qt <NOFILES>
0 0 libsdl-pango1 <NOFILES>
0 0 kdenetwork-kfile-plugins <NOFILES>
0 0 libnetcdf3 <NOFILES>
0 0 libtotem-plparser1 <NOFILES>

Am I correct in understanding that these list packages against which no recent use entries are recorded in the log files? Would this be a good program to run against deporphan or does one identify specific packages that show up in this list to run through an "apt-get remove --purge" routine?

Thanks