Re: mail proxy with GUI statistics

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:46:31AM +0530, Siju George wrote:
> I would like to implement a mail proxy that sits in between the LAN
> and Internet and connects to mailservers on the internet on behalf of
> the clients in the LAN.

Sounds like a normal MTA. exim4 will do nicely here - just configure it
to allow relaying from the internal IP addresses.

> Also want a GUI that gives the statistics like who sent mail to whom
> at what time etc.

Not sure about this - perhaps packages like isoqlog an/or mailgraph will
do the trick (not sure whether they play nice with exim though)

> Could some one please tell me what would be the best way to implement
> it.

Obviously, use a standard MTA ;-) The information for the GUI
presentation should all be available in the log files.

Does the information presented by the GUI have to be real-time? Or is it
a "report" type thing you're looking for?

A report thing would probably be easier to implement - after all, all it
has to do is to parse the log files...

> The GUI need not be on the Same system it could be something that can
> be accessed by a browser from any other system on the LAN.
>
> the same for a pop/imap proxy. the GUI part is required.

GUI stats or GUI client?

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
karl@jorgensen.org.uk  http://www.jorgensen.org.uk/