Re: [OT] The record industry, RIAA and US law

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 10:40:55AM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> Also, no Western-German or unified German government after WWII has ever
> carried people to offshore islands, denying any rights for legal counsel
> or legal defence. As said above, government, police, military have less
> powers in Germany to take freedom away from people.

You see, though, the government is doing what the people want.  Clinton
was blamed for "building a wall" between the US intelligence agencies.
This stems for the Clinton administration's policy of prosecuting
terrorists through the criminal justice system.  Once evidence was
presented to a grand jury, it could no longer be shared with *other*
intelligence agencies in order to help catch other terrorists.  People
blamed this lack of ability to communicate on allowing 9/11 to happen.
In fact lots of heads rolled over it.

Fast forward.  People want to keep their jobs, so they make sure that
the intelligence agencies are "communicating" a great deal.  This is not
some insidious plot to disappear random people around the glob.  This is
simply the US government doing the will of the US people.

> What do you mean by economic freedom? If you are talking about the
> ability of companies to sack people in order to save their salary, then
> the US is indeed more liberal.

To me economic freedom is the government not taking away my hard earned
money in order to "redistribute" it.  For example, a while back Hillary
Clinton went around saying that she wanted to basically take the oil
companies' profits and put them to "good" use.  That is the very
antithesis of economic freedom.

> If you are talking about the freedom to copy a CD you bought to a
> cassette in order to play it on your 10 year old car's stereo that won't
> play CDs, than Germany has more freedom. Many of the EULA clauses
> limiting your rights are void in Germany. (Of course that implies that
> companies have less freedom to hassle their customers).

But that is not economic freedom.

> If you are talking about the possibility of using 'one-click' buttons on
> your web site without fear of patent infringement, then Europe has more
> freedom.

Who knows how long that will last.  It looks like Europe is falling into
line behind the US on patents :-(

Regards,

-Roberto

--