Re: Really annoying.

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 05/08/07 15:38, Joe Hart wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 05/08/07 14:17, Joe Hart wrote:
[snip]
<flame>
Joe Hart is not worthy of being an ethicist.  Although he does have
strong opinions, that is exactly what they are.  I mean come on, the guy
isn't really running Debian.  He uses Sidux.  What kind of ethical
statement is that?
</flame>
Ethics has nothing to do with it.  He's just not manly enough to run
Sid.

Is that what it is?  Hmm, I could, but then I would be begging this list
for help all the time. ;)  Well, maybe I should do that anyway since I
do have one problem that I cannot seem to solve.

Considering that I am still a noob, I can feel proud that I can pluck
things from experimental and still have no broken packages.  I have even
managed to edit a few files and written a couple of scripts, Oh boy.

Heh.  Everyone starts out as a newbie.  My first Linux was
pre-installed Mandrake.  I'd have never survived Debian back then
when Woody was still Testing.

Why don't I run Sid?  The same reason many others run Lenny.  They are
afraid of Sid.  Although I have to say, problems get fixed in Sid long
before they get fixed in Lenny, and as I am getting more familiar with
Debian, I am becoming less afraid of it.  At least I am no longer
running Kubuntu.  I got bored with Etch because it is too stable for me
to learn how to fix things.  I was planning on running Lenny when I
found Sidux.  It seemed the best fit for me.  Maybe I should try Sid
directly and see what the difference is.  I have a feeling that it is
less than I think, but there's only one way to find out.

But I would not recommend people new to GNU/Linux to run Sid.  I still
only have less than a year's experience.  It's only been a couple of
months since I formatted my ntfs partition.

I started in RH 5.something, and all I can recall of my first Debian was
being presented with an entire page of options to configure the mouse.
The correct answer was not even on the page, some sort of initiative
test. 'You are not worthy to run Debian...' And that was Stable.

I've run Sid for about two years now, I think, and the only real problem
I've had was the xorg elephant trap of a year or so ago, where the
config file was not touched if it had been modified, but where there was
no way that an old config file would ever work with the new xorg.

Fortunately, I had two machines running Sid, one of which gets upgraded
pretty well every day, one doesn't. At least these days, gdm gives you
two-minute rests during unending attempts to start, which is just about
long enough to remember how to disable it.