Re: Really annoying.

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:38:03PM +0200, Joe Hart wrote:

> But I would not recommend people new to GNU/Linux to run Sid.  I still
> only have less than a year's experience.  It's only been a couple of
> months since I formatted my ntfs partition.
>
> Tomorrow my Etch is going to turn into Sid.  I let you know how it does.
>  Worst case scenario I can reinstall Etch.

Do this in four stages:

Change /etc/apt/sources.list to reference lenny

aptitude update ; aptitude dist-upgrade ; aptitude install -sf ;
aptitude keep all

Change /etc/apt/sources.list to reference sid

aptitude update ; aptitude dist-upgrade ; aptitude install -sf ;
aptitude keep all

Skipping direct from Etch -> Sid is not necessarily supported.
If you break up the long lines for aptitude into their component parts,
you may have more luck resolving problems / missing packages as you go.

[apt-get / dselect would also work with more or less the same degree of
success.]

> I accept your challenge.

Be prepared to accept significant amounts of package churn from
time to time.

If you need to revert from Sid -> Lenny, one of the easiest ways is
just to not update for a significant period, say a month - allowing
packages from Sid to percolate gradually to Etch over a period of time -
then change the /etc/apt/sources.list and dist-upgrade with Etch. With luck,
very little will need to be changed/downgraded.

Testing -> stable downgrades are not necessarily very easy and are not
readily supported or supportable: success depends very much on which
packages and how many packages you have installed.

> Joe

Andy

Registered Linux user #20441 at http://counter.li.org