I/O errors from HP LaserJet 3330 when scanning

Hi,

I have an HP LaserJet 3330 AIO, connected via USB. Running Sid, hplip,
CUPS & friends installed. Printing works fine, scanning doesn't. Using
either the sane ([x]scanimage) or xsane frontends, the PC initiates a
scan, begins acquiring data, and then fails with an 'I/O error',
usually between 60 and 80 percent of the way through. I tried fiddling
with most of the settings (color / grayscale / lineart, dpi, pnm /
png / tiff / jpeg, compression factor, scan geometry, adf / flatbed,
etc) and the problem is consisten. I've tried several dozen times, and
I believe that I've only gotten one error-free scan. [The sane
frontends keep the data that has been acquired before the error, so
I've gotten some useful scans from them; the missing part is always the
bottom / end of the image, and the good part can be usable. xsane just
aborts and apparently discards its data.]

I'd suspect a hardware (scanner / cable / USB system) problem, but
scanning works fine from Windows machines (with the same USB cable), as
does printing from my Debian machine. Any ideas?

Celejar