Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:55:25PM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:

> Fair enough. I guess I'm just getting frustrated because I feel
> like I'm the only one on campus who *doesn't* use MS and MS-for-Mac
> products exclusively (or at all), despite there apparently being a
> GNU/Linux group on campus (I haven't contacted them at all, but the
> impression I get from their website is that they're more into
> prettifying things with Compiz and such than my particular
> minimalist-when-it-comes-to-computers aesthetic will allow for, and
> definitely more into that stuff than into encouraging good
> practices. So basically I kind of wish there were some magic
> solution that would save me from having to nag at professors and
> administrators constantly (or at least when printed copies of the
> documents aren't available) about this.

> Hmm...that would be an interesting trick. I'll google around on
> that; if I could find something about that it'd be pretty useful.

Talk to the people who actually run the college's network and computing
infrastructure.  If they run MS on their servers then there's not much
hope.  If they run Linux or BSD then they may be of some help.  It may
be them that set up the profs' desktops and don't allow the profs to
alter the setup, which is why the sysadmins may be the ones to get to
add a dooclicky.  I would talk to them before trying to google and find
a clicky.

Doug.