xhosts problem

Logged in as one user, I often need to check mail of other users (I use
Evolution). In Fedora Core 5, which I used earlier, I would just log in
through a terminal and open Evolution for that user in that same
terminal without any problems. Could not do this in debian etch 4.0 (to
which I recently switched), some research led me to type 'xhost +' in
the terminal before doing this to disable access control. But while
programmes like iceweasel open fine for other users, evolution opens and
then freezes up.

The alternative in debian seems to be to use the user switch tool
through the fast user switch applet. This works okay, and enables me to
log in as another user, while staying logged in as the original user.
But if many processes are running for the original user, the system
sometimes hangs and I have to reboot rough and dirty.

Isn't there any way to give fedora-like ability to open
xwindows-dependent programmes as the original user. Some /etc/Xhost*
file or something (I could not find any such in my fc5 install)? Or to
avoid these hanging problems when switching users with many processes
running?
--
Question everything -- Karl Marx