Re: Re: debian linux-image update

> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 06:53:23PM +0530, Vidyadhar Gadgil wrote:
> > Recently some kernel update for debian etch appeared, which I duly
> > installed. In Fedora, when this used to be done, the grub entry would
> > get automatically updated. But here it does not seem to have happened,
> > the entry is the same as the original one. apt-get shows both the
> > linux-images installed. Some searching on the net yielded some
> > information about a programme called grub-update, but can't find this.
> >

> There was recently a kernel security fix.  It changed the running
> kernel; the kernel version number did not change.  Therefore grub's
> menu.list will look the same.  In general, when a new kernel version is
> installed, there will be a new entry in menu.lst.
>
> All your kernels should be in /boot.  Are there any there that don't
> have matching entries in menu.list?
>
> Doug.

Ok, so that's why menu.lst looks the same. The time stamp was for the
day I updated, so that means it has updated the kernel, right?

The vmlinux file in /boot has date stamp of the day I installed etch,
but the initrd.img file has the date stamp for the update. So everything
is okay, right, and the security fix was nicely applied?

Thanks for the info.
--
Question everything -- Karl Marx