Re: Affecting Institutional Change (Yeah Right)

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:55:25PM -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:

> GNU/Linux group on campus (I haven't contacted them at all, but the
> impression I get from their website is that they're more into
> prettifying things with Compiz and such

maybe you should educate them a little bit? A fem in the LUG would
 have serious impact. I'm sure you could sway policy any ol' way you
 wanted...

seriously though, the LUG should be ready willing and eager to support
 you in this. They should be championing a push to open standards and
 accessibility. Its probably worth your time to at least talk to
 them.

> > Joe Hart <j.hart@orange.nl> wrote:
> > > You *could* refuse to deal with people that send you documents
> > > that you cannot read, but reality says you must at least on
> > > occasion do so.
>
> Yeah, unfortunately most of the culprits are my professors and
> other staff members at the college. Not really anybody I can refuse
> to deal with, since they're in the position of power here.

Well, have you tried, upon receipt of such a monstrosity, kindly
asking for a copy in plain text? I do it on occaision. You could even
couch it in mildly mis-leading terms like "my copy of word is not
working correctly... could you send me a plain text version until I
get it repaired?"

>  (I occasionally do try to increase the ranks of
> women GNU/Linux users in particular, since I'm the only one I know
> in real life),

my wife uses debian. Of course, she doesn't really know what it is,
but then again, she uses it and is happy! So's my mom too. And no, I
don't live in the basement. In fact she's using u*&^*^$tu on a power
pc mac and hasn't needed any tech support in a good solid year. So
you're not alone.

Oh yeah! My *three* daughters use debian too. And they love it because
I told them to do whatever they want cause they can't break it.