Re: Upgrading from Sarge to Etch

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:49:15PM -0300, Valdir Marcos wrote:
> 1. How can I backup my Debian 3.1 server before upgrading to 4.0?

> # cat /etc/debian_version 3.1
>
> # uname 2.6.8-2-386 #1 Tue Aug 16 12:46:35 UTC 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> ---------------------------- 2. How can I upgrade a server Sarge in
> productiopn to Etch? I do not have a graphic environment. Really
> important is just samba, iptables and  squid.

You don't need a graphic environment.  Some/most would say that a server
shouldn't _have_ a graphic environemt.  If you _want_ one, ssh in from a
workstation's X display.

Are you really saying that you have a server in production that you
don't know how to backup, and that you have try to do a major release
upgrade automatically?  Amazing.

> ---------------------------- 3. Every night, the server tries to
> upgrades itself by: 00 04 * * * root apt-get update && apt-get -y
> upgrade && apt-get -y dist-upgrade
>

> But I receive the following error messagem:

As for how to backup the server, as always, it depends.  How big is the
data set?  How big is your media?  Do you have a remote host to store
the backup?

Have you read the release notes and the installation manual?

Have you read debian-reference?

Its a production environment; do you have a copy of Nemeth et al UNIX
system administration handbook?

Before you worry about upgrading, get your backup strategy sorted out.
There are lots of packages available.  However, before you try to
install something you better make sure your packaging system is
consistant.

What is your /etc/apt/sources.list?

Doug.