Well I'm back in business.

Well I'm back in business.  I restored my dpkg permissions back to normal with this:
sudo dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/dpkg_1.10.28_i386.deb

Also, I figured out that the culprit that removed others' execute permission on dpkg was indeed the bastille security package (at least the current Sarge version of bastille).  This happens when you say yes to one of bastille's first questions in interactive mode, which asks something like "Do you want to set more restrictive permissions on certain admin tools?".  Strangely, even if you change this answer back to no, or purge bastille from your system, dpkg still keeps the more restrictive permissions.  I am thinking of filing my 1st bug report ever for this, if there isn't one already.

Thanks again to Manoj and everyone else who helped--I would have been stuck without you!

Pizzapie