Re: does a home user on dialup need a domain name?

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 02:18:41PM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 03:05:23PM -0400, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > Yes, I have identical /etc/hosts on all boxes (yeah scp).  I know about
> > NAT/masq and have shorewall do that.
> >
> > As far as inaccessible domainnames is there a TLD reserved (the way that
> > ip addresses 192.168.*.* are unrouteable), something that will never be a
> > domaine accessible from the internet?  Should I use a trailing '.' at
> > the end or not?
> >
> I'm not aware of any specially allocated TLD name string that is
> guaranteed will never to be used for the name-string of a new TLD by
> the administrative authorities of the web. If you use some obscene
> word, you can be pretty sure it will not be used. I use TLD = 'gnu'. I
> figure that the authority is sufficiently subservient to commercial
> interests that open source will never be allowed such prominence. And
> for my local domain is use 'lan', so the host I'm using to compose
> this, which I call 'big', has the FQDN, 'big.lan.gnu'.  This protects
> me from having to deal with wierd, anal-retentive software that
> insists on having well formed FQDN entries in /etc/hosts.

I just installed OpenBSD on my 486 and it defaults to .my.domain, so its
FQDN is reliant.my.domain.  If I stick with OBSD for that box, I may
need to use FQDNs on the other boxes for consistancy.

I'll do some searching.  The only non-resovable one I know is
example.com but then, I wouldn't want to use it since then it would be
resolvable :)

Thanks,

Doug.