cups prints only on reboots

When I print a file (test file has only 4 characters),
CUPS does not print.
However, whenever I reboot, CUPS will print all jobs,
clearing the CUPS job queue.

I can repeat this by creating new print jobs.

Before the reboot solution, about every 5 minutes,
CUPS gives errors like the following in  /var/log/cups/error_log,
 [Job 13] Unable to connect to printer; will retry in 30 seconds...: Connection timed out
 [Job 18] Unable to connect to IPP host: Connection timed out

I configured the first printer (Job 13 above), an HP 4050, with lpd/lpr as
   lpd://10.55.1.63/
and I configured the second printer (Job 18 above), an HP 4200, with ipp
as
   ipp://10.55.1.69/
although many other settings also worked similarly.

I selected approprate print drivers thru the web interface  http://localhost:631.
For example, for the HP 4050, I selected the driver (PPD) which said
   HP Laserjet 4050 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.0.0 (en)

Printing worked fine before our Microsoft administrators decided to
change all printers from standard internet IP's (199.129.207.*)
to reserved addresses (10.55.1.*).
I changed my computers IP address and the printers' IP addresses.
Indeed, I eventually removed all printing packages and reinstalled them.

It's possible our administrators also added filters,
but I get the following nmap results
   PORT     STATE SERVICE
   21/tcp   open  ftp
   23/tcp   open  telnet
   80/tcp   open  http
   280/tcp  open  http-mgmt
   443/tcp  open  https
   515/tcp  open  printer
   631/tcp  open  ipp
   9100/tcp open  jetdirect
So the ports appear to be open,
and besides, Debian is printing when it reboots.

I run Debian version
   4.0
with the following two packages installed
   cupsys  1.2.7-4
   cupsys-driver-gutenprint  5.0.0-3
and no *foomatic* packages.

Any ideas, so I needn't reboot to print?

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"