Re: swap

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 05:24:24PM +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007 16:21, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> > On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:00:50PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > > On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:15:31 -0400
> > Sometimes, just links2, sometimes konq.  I ususally use Xfce but have
> > tried it with just rxvt, pdmenu, then links2 or konq.  Try this site:
> >
> > http://www.uhn.ca/Clinics_&_Services/services/asthma
> >
> > Then click on "Our Team".
> >
> > I don't know what's with this site but all of a sudden Xorg starts
> > racking up the memory.  When I leave the site, the memory footprint
> > doesn't shrink.  Eventually, I just exit X and startx again.  Not that
> > it thrashes, but...
>

> Wow! That site doesn't half hammer the RAM. On my Gateway P111 500Mhz machine
> with 250MB RAM, gkrellm normally shows about 190MB free (no swap used).
>
> Going to the site started to hit the RAM. It was up and down like a yo-yo,
> dropping as low as 11.1MB free, and with frequent freezing of gkrellm.
>
> Clicked on "our team", and the RAM got hammered again. Big freezeup of
> gkrellm, then the page was loaded, and free RAM levelled out at 84MB. That
> means that 110MB of RAM is being used to view the site. There has to
> something wrong with it, surely.

Short of getting into user quota, is there any way to keep an innocent
user (me) from inadvertantly crashing (ok, grinding to a thrashing halt)
the whole system just because I viewed a teaching-hospital's web site?

I see from another post that its fine in Sid.  Perhaps when the lenny
dust settles, I should move the amd64 up to Lenny.  I'm on dialup and the
amd64 is my main box (and server for other boxes) so don't want the
occasional breakage that running sid can entail.

When ready to do that (is it OK now?) do I just change my sources.list
from etch to lenny and use aptitude (interactive) like normal?

Thanks,

Doug.

Doug.