Re: swap

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 16:21, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:00:50PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 May 2007 12:15:31 -0400
> >
> > Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > > To generalize the problem, given that the software can't be changed, at
> > > what point do you start to look at either a bigger single computer or a
> > > cluster that looks like a bigger computer?  For me its just an
> > > intelectual exercise; I went from a 486 with 32 MB swap to an Athlon
> > > with 1GB in a single bound.  That Xorg makes _that_ swap really burns
> > > me up.
> >
> > Xorg swaps with a GB? I run Xfce with 512MB and I rarely see swapping;
> > even on my 196MB machine I didn't see much swapping. What else are you
> > running besides X?
>
> Sometimes, just links2, sometimes konq.  I ususally use Xfce but have
> tried it with just rxvt, pdmenu, then links2 or konq.  Try this site:
>
> http://www.uhn.ca/Clinics_&_Services/services/asthma
>
> Then click on "Our Team".
>
> I don't know what's with this site but all of a sudden Xorg starts
> racking up the memory.  When I leave the site, the memory footprint
> doesn't shrink.  Eventually, I just exit X and startx again.  Not that
> it thrashes, but...

> Doug.

Wow! That site doesn't half hammer the RAM. On my Gateway P111 500Mhz machine
with 250MB RAM, gkrellm normally shows about 190MB free (no swap used).

Going to the site started to hit the RAM. It was up and down like a yo-yo,
dropping as low as 11.1MB free, and with frequent freezing of gkrellm.

Clicked on "our team", and the RAM got hammered again. Big freezeup of
gkrellm, then the page was loaded, and free RAM levelled out at 84MB. That
means that 110MB of RAM is being used to view the site. There has to
something wrong with it, surely.

That was using FC2, KDE, and Konqueror.

Nigel.