Re: alsa problem in etch

On 5/8/07, Marcelo Chiapparini <marcelo.chiappa@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am running ech in a sony vaio pcg-v505ex notebook. The system has a
buildin intel8x0 sound card.  My problem is that alsaconf configures
correctly the card, but the configuration doesn't survives to the boot, in
each boot I have to run alsaconf again. I know this problem has to do with a
bug in alsaconf, and it was already discussed in this list. But the proposed
solution doesn't work for me. Here are the steps I am following:

1 -  Before run alsaconf, I run 'lsmod | grep snd', in order to see the
modificantion done by alsaconf later. The output is

snd_intel8x0m          15980  0
snd_intel8x0           30332  1    <--------------------------
snd_pcm_oss            38368  1
snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_ac97_codec         83104  2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            2400  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm                68676  4
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss,snd_ac97_codec
snd_timer              20996  1 snd_pcm
snd                    47012  7
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               9248  2 snd
snd_page_alloc          9640  3
snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

as can be seen, the module snd_intel8x0 is already loaded, but it doesn't
work... yet...

2 - After running alsaconf I have sound. The output for 'lsmod | grep snd'
is now

snd_intel8x0           30332  0    <--------------------------
snd_ac97_codec         83104  1 snd_intel8x0
snd_ac97_bus            2400  1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss            38368  0
snd_mixer_oss          15200  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                68676  3
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              20996  1 snd_pcm
snd                    47012  6
snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               9248  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          9640  2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

the module snd_intel8x0m has disappear, and the module snd_intel8x0 is
configured as 'Used by 0', instead 'Used by 1' as before.

3 - I added snd_intel8x0 in the \etc\modules file, although I think it was
not necessary, once the module is always loaded, with or withou running
alsaconf.

In the next boot, the result form 'lsmod | grep snd' is the same as in step
1, the configuration from alsaconf didn't survive... the module snd_intel8x0
is configured as 'Used by 1', instead of 'Used by 0', which apparently is
the correct configuration...

the content of the file \etc\modprobe.d\sound is

alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=0

Any help will be very appreciated

Marcelo

Google indicates that snd_intel8x0m is the modem sound device. You can
blacklist it in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist or /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base-blacklist
(this is what my computer has), but you may still have to mess around with
"alsaconf" and "alsactl store".

Cheers,
Kelly