Re: does a home user on dialup need a domain name?

On Mon, 7 May 2007 20:22:22 -0400
Douglas Allan Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 05:01:10PM -0700, Jeff D wrote:
> > Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

...if the computer was standalone.

> > >It does not.  uname -n still shows 'titan'.
> >
> > what does hostname -f show?   uname -n will always show the just
> > the hostname.
>
> titan.
>
> If I do need a domain name, then it would be
>
> 192.168.1.1	titan.homenet	titan
>
> Doug.

Exactly; you need to add .something to the one that hostname -f shows,
but preferably to all of them. I think YOU don't really need a domain
name, but some programs will complain if it is missing. For example,
sendmail needed it on a Solaris box.

--
Szia:
		Nyizsa.

Finally - A spam blocker that actually works.
http://www.bluebottle.com