Re: [OT] SWF to MP4 converter

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 08:05:06AM +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> I would like to convert some swf video files to either xvid or mpeg4
> avi. Is there any converter available for this in debian? Or even a
> non-deb file? Windows versions for one, ask $$ and then need to play
> and capture each file to record and convert. Too much time consuming.

Xvid *is* an implementation of MPEG4.

SWF is not a video format and cannot be converted directly to AVI except by
playing it. SWF is a semicompiled script format, similar to Java bytecodes.

Flash video is FLV format.  Many web sites (notably YouTube) play FLV using
a SWF player, but the actual video is in FLV format.

If you want to download the raw FLV video that's being streamed through a
SWF file on a web page, you can use the youtube-dl package (included in
Etch) or the VideoDownload addon for Firefox.

Once you have an FLV, you can convert it to AVI using mencoder (from the
debian-multimedia repository), which depends on ffmpeg.  A plausible command
would be

	mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -oac mp3lame
	-o newname.avi oldname.flv

where all of that is one line.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com