Re: eth1_rename: transmit timed out

On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 14:01:45 -0700, jason.public wrote:
> Every once in a while, my eth1 interface dies with the following messages.
>
> # dmesg
> [...]
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)
> APIC error on CPU0: 02(02)

You might want to try booting with the option "noapic". Maybe the
network interface hang-ups are caused by problem with the interrupts.

> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth1_rename: transmit timed out
> eth1_rename: transmit timed out, tx_status 00 status 6000.
>  diagnostics: net 0cc0 media 8802 dma 005000a1 fifo 0000
>  Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 392071(7) current 392087(7)
>  Transmit list 1f030660 vs. df030660.
>  0: @df030200  length 80000042 status 00000042
>  1: @df0302a0  length 80000042 status 00000042
>  2: @df030340  length 8000002a status 0000002a
>  3: @df0303e0  length 8000002a status 0000002a
>  4: @df030480  length 8000004d status 0000004d
>  5: @df030520  length 8000002a status 8000002a
>  6: @df0305c0  length 8000002a status 8000002a
>  7: @df030660  length 800000ea status 000000ea
>  8: @df030700  length 800000ea status 000000ea
>  9: @df0307a0  length 8000004a status 0000004a
>  10: @df030840  length 8000004c status 0000004c
>  11: @df0308e0  length 8000004c status 0000004c
>  12: @df030980  length 8000004d status 0000004d
>  13: @df030a20  length 8000004d status 0000004d
>  14: @df030ac0  length 8000004a status 0000004a
>  15: @df030b60  length 8000004a status 0000004a
> eth1_rename: Resetting the Tx ring pointer.
>
> Either I have to restart it with "/etc/init.d/networking restart", or
> it restarts by itself after a minute or so.  Any idea what the problem
> is?

Which ethernet card are we talking about? Please post the relevant part
of the output of "lspci", as well as the output of "/sbin/ifconfig".

I am also not too happy about seeing "eth1_rename" up there. This may
not be related to your main problem, but we might as well fix it while
we are wrangling with the networking anyway. Therefore I would like to
see the content of your /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules file.

          Florian   |