Re: alsactl restore failed ...

On Monday 07 May 2007 08:30, Gerard Robin wrote:
> Hello,
> I just did apt-get update and upgrade (unstable) and now I get this
> message at boot:
> Setting up ALSA ... warning:
> 'alsactl restore' failed with error message
> 'alsactl: load_state: 1327: no souncards found ...' ... done
>
> What can I do to solve this problem ?
>
> tia

Hi Gérard. If there was a kernel upgrade during the dist-upgrade, have you
tried booting with earlier kernels ?

If you run, cat /proc/asound/cards  is there anything showing there?

I have had problems with my usb midi keyboard on various distros. this uses
snd-usb-audio, and if you have a sound app (webcam, keyboard, etc) plugged
into the USB, an update may have made changes so that the USB stuff was being
loaded first, and your soundcard second.

As an example, with earlier versions of Fecora core I had to set options for
snd-usb-audio as below in /etc/modprobe.conf. The same went for my Debian
installs, but they all started off from Woody 3.0r2 cdroms.

alias snd-card1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

In Etch/Lenny, this would be in /etc/modprobe.d/sound.

The reason I mention this, is that when I installed FC5, snd-usb-audio was set
up correctly. The soundcard was loaded first, and then the USB stuff, but
after the latest update to FC5, I too lost the sound, and found that after
running cat /proc/asound/cards I saw that the usb midi keyboard was set as
card0, and the soundcard as card1, with obviously no sounds.
Editing /etc/modprobe.conf with the alias, and options for snd-usb-audio as
above has resolved the problem.

Looking back though at your post, you say that the boot message said "no
soundcards found". I don't remember that when the soundcard and snd-usb-audio
were set up in the wrong order.

Perhaps something is just temporarily broken when you did the dist-upgrade for
Sid.

I cannot think of anything more to suggest at the moment.

Nigel. (59630 Bourbourg)