Re: order of IDE drives in lenny

Bob McGowan wrote:
Towncat wrote:
I needed to re-install my Debian system due to a disk failure. (Used
to be etch, now lenny.) I have
a new primary IDE master to which I installed, and I also have an
IT8212 IDE card in the machine. For some reason when booting, the
IT8212 gets assigned the /dev/hda-hdd, while the onboard controller is
assigned /dev/hde-hdh. During installation the onboard controler was /
dev/hda-hdd, and therefore the root file system is not at its right
place when booting, so the system does not start. How can I tell the
kernel the order of loading the controllers?

I temporarily removed the IT card, but I will need it and the drive
attached to it. Now, however, the onboard IDE is /dev/hda-hdd, and the
system is running.

You will need to use either the LABEL=... or GUID=... options in your boot and fstab files.

There have been several posts on this topic, going into the gorry details (several from me, try searching the archives for them).

A quick synopsis: you need to be sure there is a usable 'label' on your disk partitions (programs to check/create labels vary per FS used). But in all cases, if you have a root partition with a label of just slash (/) you will need to change it to something like '/root' in order to use it.

GUID values are automatically created, but are very long values. They are most useful for USB devices that migrate from system to system, as they should be unique even across systems.

You will need to add the proper line to the boot configuration for the root partition, so the kernel uses it, and use labels/GUIDs for all mountable partitions mentioned in /etc/fstab.

Bob

Duh... that first cup of coffee doesn't seem to have helped.

That's 'UUID' not 'GUID'.

Bob