order of IDE drives in lenny

I needed to re-install my Debian system due to a disk failure. (Used
to be etch, now lenny.) I have
a new primary IDE master to which I installed, and I also have an
IT8212 IDE card in the machine. For some reason when booting, the
IT8212 gets assigned the /dev/hda-hdd, while the onboard controller is
assigned /dev/hde-hdh. During installation the onboard controler was /
dev/hda-hdd, and therefore the root file system is not at its right
place when booting, so the system does not start. How can I tell the
kernel the order of loading the controllers?

I temporarily removed the IT card, but I will need it and the drive
attached to it. Now, however, the onboard IDE is /dev/hda-hdd, and the
system is running.