Re: etch in amd64: system freezes

Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
Dear list,

I have installed etch in a new AMD64 machine. My problem is the
following: after a very little activity in the Gnome desktop, the system
freezes (even an open window terminal freezes)  and only a hard reboot
bring the system back. If during the boot I interrupt the window manager with ctrl+alt+f11 and
switch to a terminal, with alt+f1 for example, the system works
perfectly. The problem seem to be with the graphical interface.
I ran memtest86+, and everything is ok, no error was reported. My system
is the following:

CPU: Athlon64 2043 MHz
Mem: 1024 Mb
Chipset: VIA K8T800 pro (Abit AV8 motherboarad)
RAM: 204 MHz (DDR408) / CAS: 3-3-3-8 /DDR-1 (128 bits)
Video card: ATI Radeon Mobility 9200 (AGP)

I googled the internet and looked the debian arquives too (debian-user
and debian-amd64), but I didn't find any clue. I will appreciate very
much any help.

Thanks in advance

Marcelo

I recently purchased a Turion x64 dual core based HP laptop, and have loaded the AMD64 build of Debian stable (etch).

The system installed OK but on booting the newly installed system, it would freeze (hard) at unpredictable points.

After much googling, searching the HP FAQ's for their Debian support (not available for any laptops, but on servers - however, there are known issues with hangs like this), and so on, it looks like the problem is kernel support/interaction with the APIC system. The HP FAQ is here:

  http://h20219.www2.hp.com/services/cache/442408-0-0-225-121.html

No way to tell if this is your issue or not. What worked for me, which at least lets me boot and use the system, was to add 'noapic' to the boot command line (I use grub, so that's in /boot/grub/menu.lst, similar edit for lilo with the 'append=noapic', IIRC).

There were other boot options mentioned (I don't have the details at hand, I'm sorry to say), but none of them helped in my case.

Hope this is helpful.

Bob