Re: etch in amd64: system freezes

On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 12:47:20PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:

> I have installed etch in a new AMD64 machine. My problem is the
> following: after a very little activity in the Gnome desktop, the system
> freezes (even an open window terminal freezes)  and only a hard reboot
> bring the system back.
> If during the boot I interrupt the window manager with ctrl+alt+f11 and
> switch to a terminal, with alt+f1 for example, the system works
> perfectly. The problem seem to be with the graphical interface.

I have the same problem on both amd64 on a new athlon box and on i386 on
a PII, with any app that uses a lot of resources (e.g. Konqueror) either
local or remote.  E.g. from the PII's xterm, ssh to the athlon, run
konqueror so that it displays on the PII's screen.  Eventually the PII's
xorg will use more and more virtual memory until the system thrashes so
much that its like its frozen.  For me, I didn't know about the F11
trick, I'll have to try that.  Ctrl-Alt-BS does not work, neither does
sshing in (times out before I get a shell) so I have to power cycle the
box.

Same thing happens on the athlon from time to time.

I tried without a window manager (just rxvt) with the same effect.

Looking at the bugs for Xorg there seem to be a few related to this.
I'm very disappointed with Xorg but there doesn't seem to be a choice at
this point if I want X.  Luckily, I only use X for web browsing, pdf
reading, and graphic editing.  Everything else is CLI.

I'm just waiting and watching the Xorg bugs; I hope there will be a fix
soon.

Doug.