Re: Recent upgrade killed matlab [and everything java related]

On Sun, 6 May 2007 10:24:09 -0600
"Wesley J. Landaker" <wjl@icecavern.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 May 2007 01:58:49 Micha Feigin wrote:
> > Recent upgrades of sid killed matlab 7 (sp2) for me. When I try to start
> > it with the jvm active (gui) I get the error:
> >
> > MATLAB: xcb_xlib.c:50: xcb_xlib_unlock: Assertion `c->xlib.lock' failed.
> > Aborted
> >
> > Any idea what this is, is it solvable and whether it is a common problem
> > or only me ?
>
> No idea about your matlab issue (looks like a possible xlib
> incompatibility--you could always run matlab in a etch chroot or
> something), but I can't pass up the opportunity to recommend using octave
> <http://www.octave.org/> instead of matlab if at all posible. =)

Afraid it's not even remotely possible.
I tried octave at the time but it was so far behind it was on the verge of
unusable for the real world. Scilib seemed much better but both fail on the
colaboration issue when everyone around you uses matlab (or as I just started
doing, c/c++  and fortran).

I do computer vision and medical imaging, which means huge PDE and (non)linear
systems. Also one of octave's big drawbacks (besides being about on par with
matlab 5 without the toolboxes) is that it has terrible graphic support
(plotting/displaying data, including 3d)

Add to that the availability of existing code ...

Anyway, it turns out that the problem is not matlab, its something between
Java's awt and x.org (I didn't quite understand who's at fault, seems that awt
uses something that is in the specks but not properly implemented). I just
found out that jabref (open source bibref manager), freemind (open source mind
mapping tool) and maple are also dead.

I saw some pointer towards libxrandr but it seems that it is at it's latest
version.