Re: debian verizon.net and smtp

On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:11:21PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I'm using pine on debian and I gave pine my verizon user name so pine
> would make a connection with authentication with verizon to send the
> e-mail.  It's verizon.net that's prompting for the password.

I don't use pine... does pine have its own smtp btis and deliver the
mail itself or does it use the local MTA?

by what mechanism is verizon.net prompting you for the password? or is
it pine that is prompting?

THe problem I'm seeing is that if pine uses the local MTA (exim here)
then there would be no mechanism for verizon to ask for a password
such that the request would get passed all the way back to the
user. If exi mwas doing the mailing, you'd have to look in the logs to
see that authentication failed and eventually the mail would get
bounced back to you. So it sounds like pine is doing the smtp
transaction directly. In which case, to answer your original question,
no exim doesn't need reconfiguring, because its not involved in the
transaction.

It sounds to me like pine is misconfigured, if not broken, as the "no
from command was sent" indicates that its not speaking proper smtp to
the remote server.

hth