Re: Dangers of "stable" in sources.list

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 08:49:24AM -0400, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Martin Marcher wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >On 5/3/07, martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> >>also sprach Martin Marcher <martin.marcher@gmail.com>
> >>[2007.05.03.1217 +0200]:
> >>
> >>From my book:
> >
> >Exactly my opinion too, i was more interested in hearing why I would
> >wan't stable instead of the hardcoded name. I just can't think of any
> >reason to do that and practically have really use for it (except for
> >the testing or unstable distribution as I pointed out initially)
> >
> >Am I solving problems here that wouldn't exist in the first place?
> >Am I ignorant of why there is a "stable" tree (apart from the
> >psychological impact that it now indeed is stable)?
> >
> As soon as I read the recommendation in Martin Krafft's book, I
> immediately changed all the lines in my sources.list from stable to
> sarge  - if I hadn't, I expect I would have been very unpleasantly
> surprised upon doing my first apt-get upgrade following Etch becoming
> stable.  Thanks Martin!

mildly humorous to think someone could be *surprised* by a debian
release ;-O.

> And ever since, I've wondered why the default sources.list specifies
> "stable" instead of a specific distribution.  It seems like a recipe for
> disaster for an awful lot of people.

just a guess, but maybe so that no matter when you install, that
install disk will get you moving into stable. so you could use a
really old installer and automatically move right up to stable with
the next dist-upgrade.

also, ISTM, that if you are paying attention at all, you'd notice when
the change happened. If you do a regular dist-upgrade, there will
suddenly be a pile of upgrades instead of the usual trickle. THat
should be enough to cause one to review what is happening and hold off
on an upgrade if its necessary.

.02