Re: General questions...

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 08:54:38AM +0100, Steven Maddox (Architect) wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Thanx for your answers... heres some clarifications...
>
> a) I meant to say Debian XFCE! not Ubuntu XFCE (sorry :D)
>
> b) I have already replaced mousepad for MadEdit (v.nice editor in my
> opinion)
>
> c) I know loads of text editors can do multi-file find/replace - but I
> want to do this on a massive scale, it would mean opening up every text
> file on the file system! - i.e. I want to -on mass- rename something
> unique in all configuration files mentioning it

On the command line it is easy:
    $ find somedirectory -print0 | xargs -0 perl -pi -e 's/oldtext/newtext/g'

Adjust the find(1) command to locate the right files first before
you pipe it through xargs - massive-scale search/replace could mean
massive-scale mistakes ...

If you want a GUI, then I don't know... (and don't really care :-| )

> f) on a bizarre connected note, I know that Debian is *rock solid*
> stable - but when doing an 'apt-get upgrade' I haven't noticed a since
> new thing!  is this normal? has theres really been nothing new since the
> release! - my sources.list is fine btw

Yes: the stable distribution should only receive security updates:
    http://www.debian.org/security

PS: Please don't top-post...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen