Re: General questions...

c) I know loads of text editors can do multi-file find/replace - but I
want to do this on a massive scale, it would mean opening up every text
file on the file system! - i.e. I want to -on mass- rename something
unique in all configuration files mentioning it

Don't you like CLI instead a GUI app? a single sed command line will do the job no matter how massive it is.

f) on a bizarre connected note, I know that Debian is *rock solid*
stable - but when doing an 'apt-get upgrade' I haven't noticed a since
new thing!  is this normal? has theres really been nothing new since the
release! - my sources.list is fine btw

Yes it's "rock solid" normal.

cheers
raffaele