Re: Setup PATH for X Window (urxvt)

On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 10:12:14PM +0200, Joe Hart wrote:

> Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> >> I agree with this. But the brlcad package can one to download in tar.bz2
> >> package or from CVS repository. Which one can one use to build the debian
> >> package from it?
> >
> > Shouldn't pre-compiled tarballs go in /opt?
>
> Does it really make a difference?  What matters is that it is in a
> different place than /bin or /usr/bin so that the system won't clobber
> it when it gets upgraded.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Personally, I have some
> things in /opt and some others in /usr/local/bin.

I suppose it makes a difference depending on how update tarballs get
handled.  If you just get a new tarball, how do you ensure that all the
old stuff is removed?  With everything under /opt then you just remove
the directory.

If you're compiling, then a make uninstall (or whatever) handles this.

Doug.