Re: kernel 2.6.20 generates kernel panic at boot

On May 1, 2007 06:37:57 am Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
> Stephen Cormier wrote:
> > Ok this looks like my driver for the jmicron controller I have for my
> > SATA hard drive and the IDE burner it controls having changed its
> > behavior then. But your problem is as I mentioned already then with the
> > SATA naming they changed you will need to re-compile with the proper
> > options set the oldconfig method does not pick this up. An example of the
> > change below.
> >
> > grep -i sata_nv /boot/config-2.6.8-11-amd64-generic
> > CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=m
> >
> > grep -i sata_nv /boot/config-2.6.20-ck1-core2duo
> > CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
>
> mh...  I'm probably missing something...
>
> grep -i sata linux-source-2.6.18/.config
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA=y
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_AHCI is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SVW is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_MV is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_QSTOR is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_PROMISE is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SX4 is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL24 is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIS is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_ULI is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_VIA is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_VITESSE is not set
> CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y
>
> but for the new .config of 2.6.20 (this is the one in the .tar.bz) I get

I do not get a .config in a freshly unpacked 2.6.20 from the kernel.org.

stephen @ /usr/src/linux-2.6.20]
>$ grep -i sata .config
grep: .config: No such file or directory

stephen @ /usr/src/linux-2.6.20]
>$ ll .
./          ../         .gitignore

Now once I do a make menuconfig and exit saving the defaults it picks up from
the running kernel it is there.

stephen @ /usr/src/linux-2.6.20]
>$ grep -i sata .config
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y
# CONFIG_SATA_SVW is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_MV is not set
CONFIG_SATA_NV=y
# CONFIG_SATA_QSTOR is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_PROMISE is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_SX4 is not set
CONFIG_SATA_SIL=y
# CONFIG_SATA_SIL24 is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_SATA_ULI is not set
CONFIG_SATA_VIA=y
# CONFIG_SATA_VITESSE is not set
CONFIG_SATA_INTEL_COMBINED=y

> grep -i sata linux-source-2.6.20/.config
> # CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_SATA is not set
>
> where have all the other options gone?

Have you done a make menuconfig to get the .config or was it in the debian
package? If so then you should check in the SATA section to enable the driver
you need from the looks of it the sata_intel one as that is the only one set
in your 2.6.18 config. One other thing I am thinking of is the option to use
experimental/incomplete drivers I believe it is called if it is not set then
you never get to see certain module selections you might have to set this to
see the sata drivers.

> thanks in advance
> 	Lorenzo

Stephen