Re: Since chvt works, the problem must be the keymap

On Mon, Apr 30, 2007 at 16:03:42 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:
> Florian Kulzer wrote:
> > Check what is assigned to keycode 67. I see this:
>
> > $ xmodmap -pk | egrep '^[ ]+67 '
> >      67         0xffbe (F1)     0x1008fe01 (XF86_Switch_VT_1)
>
> > If your output looks different then you can try if
>
> > xmodmap -e 'keycode  67 = F1 XF86_Switch_VT_1'
>
> > restores the VT switching.
>
> Well, I've got what seems to be the correct output. Also,
> xev seems to read things fine from what I can tell. I would
> be glad to provide the exact output if it would be helpful.

At the moment it seems to me that we have checked all the common
pitfalls and still we have no clue why VT switching does not work for
you. Pretty much all that we can do now is poke at a few more things and
hope that a hint comes up. I am now simply very curious what events are
reported when you press CTR + ALT + F1. The KeyPress events for CTRL and
ALT should harbor no surprises, but what happens with F1? Is it reported
as keysym "F1", is it recognized as keysym "XF86_Switch_VT_1" or is it
swallowed by X?

I would also suggest that you check the end /var/log/Xorg.0.log right
after you try to switch VTs. I see these new lines in the log after I
switch to tty1 with CTRL + ALT + F1:

(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 0
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 1
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 2
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 3
(II) intel(0): xf86UnbindGARTMemory: unbind key 4

Maybe your VT switching is indeed blocked by a problem with the graphics
driver as suggested earlier by cga. In that case I would hope that the
log will give us a hint what to do about it.

          Florian   |