Re: Host's IP address can't be found

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 08:03:21 -0500
"Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

[snip]

> Your DHCP server will assign the correct address. If you want the box to get
> the same address every time, you'll need to configure the DHCP server to
> give a reserved address to this box based on this box's MAC layer (hardware)
> address.

I do this on my LAN. Just to clarify, this isn't something you can
configure on the Debian client system; the DHCP server has to be
instructed to reserve a specific address for a specific MAC address.
How to do this will depend on the specific DHCP implementation. On my
Netgear home router, for example, there's a section somewhere (I'm not
on my home LAN now) in the web interface that allows one to set up a
table of MAC addresses associated with reserved IP addresses.

[snip]

> Kent West
> Westing Peacefully - http://kentwest.blogspot.com

Celejar