Re: ams.sty not found after updating to texlive

On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 15:47:45 +0200, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Dear Debianers,
>
> I am running a debian sid system on a Dell dimension 8300 PC
> (2.6.18-3-686 #1 SMP) and am having some problems getting latex
> working after I updated some packages to day. I removed the tetex
> packages and installed texlive (initially including texlive-base,
> texlive-bin, texlive-common and subsequently texlive-all). After this,
> the system cannot find the ams.sty file for the American Mathematical
> Society package (which should apparently be installed with
> texlive-base -- this package is listed as installed at version
> 2007-4).
>
> Using find /usr/share -iname amy.sty turned up nothing either.
>
> Any ideas what could be going wrong?

The command that you quote above has a typo ("amy.sty"). However, I
don't think that that is really the problem: It seems that "ams.sty" was
removed in texlive 2007-4. It is still present in texlive 2005.dfsg.3-1.
The removal may have been due to licensing issues (restrictions on
commercial re-distribution, which is DFSG-incompatible) and/or because
the file is obsolete (it is no longer on CTAN either).

My guess is that \usepackage{amsmath} or \usepackage{amssymb} (if you
only need the AMS symbols) will work as a replacement. If you really
need the original ams.sty then you can find it on the web and put it in
your ~/texmf.

On a related note: Searching through system directories is much faster
if you use "locate":

locate ams.sty
locate -br '^ams.*\.sty'

          Florian   |