Sarge Update Problem

Hello,

Hopefully someone can help here...

I'm on an R50e Thinkpad with Sarge installed.

I ran an upgrade (note: upgrade not dist-upgrade). Something strange happened.
The file /etc/debian-release states 4.0 now.

In my /etc/apt/apt.conf I had the following entry:
APT::Default-Release "sarge";
So I didn't think it would do a dist-upgrade... maybe the syntax here is incorrect? Or I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway.. the upgrade (or whatever it was) finished successfully, however, now Thunderbird won't start.

It complains now:
****
selected locale: en-US
DOUBLE-CLICK: 250 --> -1 THRESHOLD: 8 --> -1
(Gecko:4248): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded modules
were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
there was an error in the creation of:
'/etc/pango/pango.modules'
You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.

(Gecko:4248): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(Gecko:4248): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape: assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed

Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed: (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
aborting...
/usr/lib/mozilla-thunderbird/run-mozilla.sh: line 451: 4248 Aborted "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
*****

Icedove is not installed, so what happened here?

Just to see what would happen, I ran a dist-upgrade and received the following:
*****
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Some packages had unmet dependencies. This may mean that you have
or been moved out of Incoming.

xlibmesa-glu: Depends: xfree86-common but it is not installable
Conflicts: libglu1 which is a virtual package.
libglu1-mesa: Conflicts: libglu1 which is a virtual package.
******

Anyone have any idea how I can
1. get thunderbird to run? (or upgrade to Icedove as long as it doesn't remove the ~/.mozilla-thunderbird) directory)
2. fix the mixed Sarge/Etch system?

Thanks!
regexes