Re: how to make a symlink

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 10:11:40PM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:
> not using Gnome or KDE, I seem to be mising some basic features (like
> search). One of these is the ability to make links to files. I want to
> make a link to seamoney, which has not registered as a browser, nor has
> it registered a command. Thus putting a symlink to seamonkey in bin
> ought to suffice until I learn more.

If you want seamonkey functionality (and virtually identical code)
that works and is supported by Debian, apt-get install iceape

If you want to build seamonkey from scratch, you've a learning curve to
climb because its large and convoluted.:)

[Snip large explanation of Mozilla trademark policy, DFSG, permissions
apparently granted and revoked, security fixes and eventual renaming:
all of which will be resolved, I hope, by the time we next release :) ]

	man ln

I suspect that you normally want ln -s to create soft links.

The trick to remember is that you're linking what you've already got
to what you want to call it or where you want it to be.

	ln WHAT I HAVE to WHAT I WANT

So:

	cd /bin ; mv cp cp.original

	ln -s /usr/local/my_funky_copy /bin/cp

substitutes a symlink for your locally modified binary for the system
binary.

ln -s /bin/cp /usr/local/my_funky_copy

means that you've just overwritten all your hard work on my_funky_copy
with the system binary :(

Hope this helps,

Andy