Re: btw: gnome desktop manager

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 01:49:29PM +0100, somethin2cool wrote:

> >You can easily remove gdm:  apt-get remove --purge gdm.
> >
> >The function of a Desktop Manager is to log in graphically and start the
> >appropriate x session.  If you don't like gdm, then perhaps xdm is more
> >to your liking, or you can just get rid of all desktop managers and boot
> >to a standard login and start xfce manually when you want it.
> >
> >Joe
> >

> Thanks joe. I expect I'll break everything but that's a great way to
> learn

if you want to try operating without a desktop manager, you can do a
couple things. 1) as root 'update-rc.d -f gdm remove' will remove the
symlinks to gdm so that it doesn't start automatically. this way you
will dump to a shell login and can play with 'startxfce4', which is
what I do.

or b) you could install other dm's alongside gdm. try xdm or
wdm. There is a way to specify which one is the default dm to use,
though that escapes me at the moment and I don't have one installed to
figure it out with. look in the /etc/init.d/*dm file of choice and you
should be able to figure out where that is set.