Re: ntfs read-write

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 14:43 +0200, Joe Hart wrote:
> somethin2cool wrote:
> > it would be useful to be able to copy files onto ntfs external hds. (i
> > like reiser 4, but lets not get into alternatives)
> >
> > I know about captive and have never got it to work. Fuse seems new, and
> > somehow related. I read a review which showed excellent stats, but it's
> > just a review.
> >
> > now captive is a wrapper, and thus reliable. fuse seems to be something
> > else. ntfs-3g seems related to fuse, and sounds neat.
> >
> > apart from captive, i don't get how these work at all. because most
> > people don't care, explanations are hard to find. I'm not happy using
> > things i don't understand (so linux is a bit uncomfortable atm). If i
> > don't know how it works, how can i trust it?
> >

> Answer to this one:  ntfs-3g.  It works.  But, never trust anything to
> work with an undocumented file system.  Frequent backups are a good idea.
>
> Reformatting the ntfs drive is a better idea, but your Windows might
> complain ;)

Here is my "what used to be dual boot" machines /etc/fstab entry:

        /dev/hdg1 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g defaults,user,force 0 3

It mounts auto-magically at boot (even though it (being Windows) doesn't
boot anymore)

Recently went to v1.417 (in Sid/Unstable), just plain works, of course
until it doesn't.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup