Re: Troubles with my modem

Carlos Manuel GV wrote:

> My problem:
>
> I have a M70 Toshiba Satellite and Debian 4.0 installed.
> I already have sl-modem-daemon packet and I´ve configured several times
> /etc/wvdial.conf and checked /etc/ppp/ppers/wvdial, pap-secrets and
> chap-secrets, and from root I gave privileges to users have access to
> them. I have gnome-ppp too to access ppp from gnome.
>
> By wvdial through root, I almost get modem connected but I always get an
> error in idle time that doesn´t let me contiune.
>
> With gnome-ppp have the next error-message:
> <***************>
>
> --> Ignoring malformed input line: ";Do NOT edit this file by hand!"
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
> --> Cannot get information for serial port.
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATM1L3DT060110
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATM1L3DT060110
> CONNECT 52000
> --> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> --> Starting pppd at Sat Apr 28 12:48:03 2007
> --> Pid of pppd: 4033
> --> Disconnecting at Sat Apr 28 12:48:04 2007
> --> The PPP daemon has died: pppd options error (exit code = 2)
> --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
> --> I guess that's it for now, exiting
> --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 2)
>
> </***************>
>
> I´ll really appreciate if you can guide me, last time with Debian in my
> PC I got my modem ready, but now I can´t.
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> B.

In my experience, Kppp is better (although there is a quirk in the
configuration). Even if you don't use KDE, if you at least have the KDE
libraries, it should work and be easy to configure.

The aforementioned quirk is in the configuration of a manual login script:
It will 'forget' the last line, which refers to pppd (I seem to remember),
as soon as you go in to edit it again. It only means that you have to add
that line each time you edit the script. It ISN'T a big problem.
--
If you wrestle in the mud with a pig,
you both get dirty and the pig likes it.