GRUB launch a CD?

[This message has also been posted to linux.debian.user.]

I've got an old Compaq laptop.  It can boot from hard
drive or floppy but not from CD.  I installed Etch
by moving its hard drive to another machine
temporarily.  The CD drive is fine.  The BIOS is
just too stupid to boot from it.

I'd like to be able to test and demonstrate live CDs.
Is there a way to tell GRUB to boot a CD?
Sections 3.4 and 11.1 of the GRUB manual say to
use device name (cd) or maybe (cd0) but
that gives an Error 23: Error while parsing number.

Letting the grub shell complete "root ("
I get Possible disks are:  fd0 hd0.  No CD.
I get the same on a system that *does* boot CDs
properly.
I tried "chainloader /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/stage2_eltorito"
but that's an Error 13, Invalid or unsupported executable
format.

Cameron