Re: ssi on apache2 doesn't work

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Kent West wrote:

I know nothing about apache[2], but I've inherited the responsibility to
move a web site from a Solaris box to Debian Etch (Yea!).

I've installed apache2 and gotten the site moved over, and it seems that
everything works (it's a simple site), but I've noticed that some links give
404s. On closer inspection, these links point to index.shtml files rather
than index.html files. I understand that's a hint to the apache server to
look for server-side includes in the file.

I've been googling all evening, and am running out of time before I have to
re-enable the Solaris box if I don't get this running (Boo-o-o-oo!), but
much of the documentation seems out of date or doesn't actually answer the
issue.

As I understand it, apache2 uses "/etc/apache2/apache2.conf" as its main
config file rather than "httpd.conf". I further understand that this file
looks to other files for "virtual web servers", so I also need to consider
the file "/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default" (which symlinks to
"/etc/apache2/sites-available/default".

I've found references to adding "+Includes" to your "Options" section, but
no indication whatsoever where that "Options" section is. I've pretty much
decided this needs to go into the "000-default" file, which now looks like
this:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
      ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

      DocumentRoot /home/web/htdocs
      <Directory />
              Options FollowSymLinks +Includes
              AllowOverride None
      </Directory>
      <Directory /home/web/htdocs/hughes/148/072/>
              Options FollowSymLinks +Includes
              AllowOverride None
      </Directory>
      <Directory /var/www/>
              Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews +Includes
              AllowOverride None
              Order allow,deny
              allow from all
              # This directive allows us to have apache2's default start
page
              # in /apache2-default/, but still have / go to the right
place
              RedirectMatch ^/$ /apache2-default/
      </Directory>

(and etc etc)

--
Kent West

first run:
a2enmod include
that will insure that mod_includes is loading Then in your /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default change it to relfect this:

<Directory /home/web/htdocs/hughes/148/072/>
	Options FollowSymLinks +Includes
	AllowOverride None

	## added to enable ssi
	AddType text/html .shtml
	AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml

</Directory>

then, restart apache and you should be good.

hth
jeff

-+-
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.