Re: [Fwd: Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick]

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:23:07AM -0700, Arthur Barlow wrote:
> I thought I'd try this list as well.

> From: Arthur Barlow <arthurbarlow@earthlink.net>
> To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Trying to figure out a USB wireless stick
>
> I'm using an older Dell Latitude which has always worked great with
> Debian.  I'm currently using the "lenny" or testing version.  I'm trying
> to set up a Linksys wireless card or stick.  When I boot the computer
> the BIOS sees the stick on the USB port, but there's nothing to tell it
> to configure it as a network device.
>
> The output of lsusb is:
>
> Bus 001 Device 002:  ID 13b1:0020 Linksys
> Bus 001 Device 001:  ID 0000:0000
>
> My kernel is 2.6.17.  I've downloaded the "wireless-tools" package.  Any
> advise would be appreciated.

Ah, yes... USB WiFi dongles. Unfortunately, there are a great many
different drivers around - and even different versions of the same
dongle may require different drivers. *And* because it would be boring
otherwise, not every driver can be controlled by iwconfig et al.

Your first step would be to take a look at
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_hostif.php?hostif=USB and see
whether your card is supported and what driver is required. With a
Linksys adapter, I'd guess that there is a fair chance that you'll get
it going. If the links provided at http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ don't
provide the information you need, you can always come back here with
version numbers, drivers and such.

Good luck!
(you'll need it)
 -Juergen