Re: apache2: no listening sockets

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 07:50 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> michael:
> > On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 12:06 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> >> michael:

> >> This means that some program is already listening on localhost:80. It
> >> may be a stale apache process which you could just kill or it is another
> >> webserver you have installed previously. In any case, you can set up
> >> apache to listen on a port other than 80 to mitigate this problem.
> >>
> >> J.
> >
> > Jochen, thanks for that. Using port 81 and it works (still need to sort
> > out ServerName but not sure what the 'httpd not running relates to?)
>
> If you are telling Apache to restart, it will try to stop older
> processes first. If it cannot find any, it will issue this warning.
> Shouldn't bother you unless you know apache has been running before.
>

> > Not shown: 1677 closed ports
> > PORT    STATE SERVICE     VERSION
> > 9/tcp   open  discard?
> > 13/tcp  open  daytime
>
> You can disable these by editing /etc/inetd.conf (or xinetd.conf, don't
> know which one is the default nowadays).
>
> > 80/tcp  open  tcpwrapped
>
> May be inetd, but that's just a guess.
>
> You can run 'netstat -tlpn' as root to find out which process is
> listening on that socket.
>
> J.

Jochen & Lucas

Thanks, from inet.d I had 'apt-cacher' so have disabled that (and ftp
and daytime too). Now I can run apache2 on :80

Thanks!
Michael

PS: if you know about how Apache deals with access from browsers using a
proxy can you take a look at my posting
                           Subject:
apache2 and proxy
                              Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 21:29:09 +0100
since I'm at a loss... it used to work and doesn't now!