Re: Will kernels work on the "wrong" hardware?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 11:41:37AM -0400, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Chances are you'll be fine either way - isn't k7 a subset of 686?  I
> would certainly thnk an amd64 motherboard should work fine using a k7
> kernel.

I think that's likely not to work. probably spit out a kernel panic
and fail to boot. I've had it definitely fail using the same proc on a
different mobo, so changing architectures is less likely to work. But
the below is the way to go.

> The other option, though, is to boot to a rescue CD and install a new
> kernel using the rescue system.

chroot into the system to do the install.