Re: Can't mount pen drive

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:26 -0300, Cassiano Bertol Leal wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 08:43 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > [snippage]
> >> That was probably copied from the Sarge installation that used to be on
> >> this box.  I thought that I had used the pen drive since I converted to
> >> Etch, but it is possible that I had not.  If so, then where should I
> >> check to find the correct drive designation to use since dmesg does not
> >> give me that information?
> >
> > I don't even have ANY fstab entries for things like thumb drives or
> > card-readers.
> >
> > Do you have these packages installed?
> >
> >         hal udev dbus pmount cryptsetup hal-device-manager eject
> >
> > Its all I have and the system auto-magically auto-mounts them. Any deps
> > should be auto-magically installed. And I am also running 2.6.18 on my
> > daughter's machine and she has friends come in and reads their stuff
> > without problems.
> >
> > So, mayeb you have all these... you might want to reinstall them with or
> > at least extract the packages somewhere (safe) and look at the configs
> > and maybe see any problem.
>
> It looks to me as if you're missing the module that will create the
> /dev/sda (or whatever) device. I had this same problem with a
> custom-build kernel where I had stripped down a SCSI thing and it
> wouldn't work. Recompiled the same kernel with this extra module and
> voilà: life was beautiful again.
>
> Since I am not at home right now and I'm stuck in windoze at work, can't
> help you any further. But that might give you some direction....

The modules are auto-loaded when you plug the damn thing in. It is what
HAL and UDEV and DBUS and all the "watching" daemons are designed to DO.

I basically installed those things I mentioned. It did just work after
that. The system loads the usb-storage and mod_scsi stuff without fail.
It shows up n the desktop without fail. It just plain works without
fail.

If you want to argue about this NOT being the fix or the cause, please
just ignore my response then.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup