Re: Can't mount pen drive

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:26 -0300, Cassiano Bertol Leal wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 08:43 -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> > [snippage]
> >> That was probably copied from the Sarge installation that used to be on
> >> this box.  I thought that I had used the pen drive since I converted to
> >> Etch, but it is possible that I had not.  If so, then where should I
> >> check to find the correct drive designation to use since dmesg does not
> >> give me that information?
> >
> > I don't even have ANY fstab entries for things like thumb drives or
> > card-readers.
> >
> > Do you have these packages installed?
> >
> >         hal udev dbus pmount cryptsetup hal-device-manager eject
> >
> > Its all I have and the system auto-magically auto-mounts them. Any deps
> > should be auto-magically installed. And I am also running 2.6.18 on my
> > daughter's machine and she has friends come in and reads their stuff
> > without problems.
> >
> > So, mayeb you have all these... you might want to reinstall them with or
> > at least extract the packages somewhere (safe) and look at the configs
> > and maybe see any problem.
> It looks to me as if you're missing the module that will create the
> /dev/sda (or whatever) device. I had this same problem with a
> custom-build kernel where I had stripped down a SCSI thing and it
> wouldn't work. Recompiled the same kernel with this extra module and
> voilà: life was beautiful again.
> Since I am not at home right now and I'm stuck in windoze at work, can't
> help you any further. But that might give you some direction....

The modules are auto-loaded when you plug the damn thing in. It is what
HAL and UDEV and DBUS and all the "watching" daemons are designed to DO.

I basically installed those things I mentioned. It did just work after
that. The system loads the usb-storage and mod_scsi stuff without fail.
It shows up n the desktop without fail. It just plain works without

If you want to argue about this NOT being the fix or the cause, please
just ignore my response then.
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup