Re: Can't mount pen drive

Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:01:02AM -0700, Marc Shapiro wrote:
I am having trouble getting a USB pen drive to mount. I am running an up-to-date Etch box.

My  /etc/fstab is:
#
/dev/sda1       /media/pen      vfat    user,umask=0000,noauto  0       0

When I try to mount the drive I get the following error:

mns@xander:~$ mount /media/pen
mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist

I have, in fact, tried two separate pen drives with the same results.

Where did you get the name sda1 from to put in the fstab?

Doug.
That was probably copied from the Sarge installation that used to be on this box. I thought that I had used the pen drive since I converted to Etch, but it is possible that I had not. If so, then where should I check to find the correct drive designation to use since dmesg does not give me that information?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com