postgresql problem? : etch

Just upgraded one of my servers to etch. (really a new install) - new
system, had dumped sarge on it earlier, but never deployed.

now:
 etch (i386) - net install
 source: ftp://ftp2.fr.debian.org/debian/

(never used this source before, this was the first server setup in
france)

Anyway, I installed posgresql (8.1) and it refused to start, no errors
in /var/log/postgresql, /var/log/syslog

ditto with 7.4

the Daemon would not start. Tried purging the packages and re-installing
but no use.

after much searching and debugging I initialized the DB manually
(initdb)

these are the two commands I had to use.

as "postgres" user
1. /usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/initdb -D /var/lib/postgresql/

as root:
2. su -c '/usr/lib/postgresql/7.4/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/
-l /var/lib/postgresql/logfile start' postgres

after this,  the daemon started.

Anyone else faced this? I do not have this problem  ? Or would this be a
bug.

Incidentaly a very similar problem was faced currently by a friend who
had to work with RHEL (latest), this was done using his help. This
worked for him  as well (above).

NOTE: the default locale was set to en_GB previously - the above
commands would not work until I set Lang=C.

Few qsts. remain:

1. Why did the DB not initalise, this worked fine even on testing
previously?
2. No errors reported anywhere? this is definetly unusual
3. If is was a locale problem, perhaps there should be a check or at
least a mention of this in the README ? I could not find anything, so I
(mistakenly?) assumed that this was not the case.

any ideas, anyone? I have to do a few more upgrades to etch over the
coming weeks as we move over, but I would prefer to have this sorted
out.

-- I should mention I am running AMD64  arch on my laptop (testing), and
got no errors - but its running and not freshly setup. This was my first
using i386 - stable etch.

hoping to find some answers

Erle

-- of course:
 Thanks to all invovled for all the good work over the years :)