Re: UUID vs /dev

Joe Hart wrote the following on 24.04.2007 18:28:

<snip>

> I can understand the usage of UUID on removable drives, but it seems the
> new way of dealing with *all* disks is UUID.  Why this needs to be so
> for normal hard drives remains a mystery to me.

First
I had used the LABEL in fstab even before Ubuntu did use UUIDs.

Where is this use full?
e.g.
I get used to play with my system.  ;)
Do this, do that, try an other distri and so on.

Once after an "testinstallation" the /dev/sda[1-9) system got confused.
What was /var = /dev/sda5 (or s.th.) had now been /dev/sda6 which contained
my  /home data.
Imagine my face at realising this. ;)

anyway man fstab:
<--------------------------------------------------------------
Instead of giving the device explicitly, one may indicate the (ext2  or xfs)
filesystem that is to be mounted by its UUID or volume label (cf.
e2label(8) or  xfs_admin(8)),  writing  LABEL=<label>  or  UUID=<uuid>,
e.g.,   `LABEL=Boot'   or  `UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6'.
This will make the system more robust: adding or removing a  SCSI  disk
changes the disk device name but not the filesystem volume label.

> Joe

bye Thilo
--
i am on Ubuntu 2.6 KDE