Re: Debian User List

On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 18:12 -0400, Amy Templeton wrote:

> s. keeling wrote:
> > > Nah, the kids these days think MLs are old hat and
> > > frumpy compared to web forums.
>
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > No, kids are lazy and don't want to learn how to research,
> > or do the research themselves.
>
> Y'know, that may be true of many people, older and younger,
> but I'd just like to stick up for some of the people my age.
> There definitely are those who tend to think that forums are
> much worse for communication than are mailing lists, and
> also those who are more than willing to do some research in
> order to get things working right and/or improve upon them
> (if there's room). I promise.

Unfortunately, Windows is so pervasively undercutting common sense, in
that I applaud you for fighting back. Fighting back the "unwashed
hordes" mentality.

> > > You can't point and click on anything in slrn or mutt.
>
> > Isn't that why there's icedove, sylpheed, kmail...?
>
> See, I guess that's part of the weirdness of being me, but
> personally I try to turn off any "feature" that requires me
> to use the mouse in order to access it. So again, "kids
> these days" aren't *all* about flash and fancy show.

Many never learn the economy of less hand movement and the efficiency of
it. Bravo to you for "getting it".

> Just putting in two cents,

Probably worth more than you'd imagine.
--